Introduce accessibility from the beginning
- Follow the accessibility standard WCAG
- Include accessibility on an equal basis as usability and user experience
- Apply user-centred design principles and include users with disabilities
Accessibility in the specification
- There has to be specific, measurable goals for accessibility in the specification. Look at the interface and the planned functionalities and determine what WCAG criteria need to be fulfilled.
- Include people with disabilities in your target audience.
- Think accessibility when choosing what technology to use. For example a framework should be compliant with WAI-ARIA. Some frameworks have better support for accessibility than others.